Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viton FR 44/60 equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarinelli

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2002
US
Hello all,

I'm not a rubber or seal expert - my experience with these are quite elementary. I apologize in advance for any really dumb questions.

My company is Reverse Engineering a Back up Seal for an aircraft application. The material appears to be a green viton by virtue of the packaging that states the material is "Fluorocarbon FR 44/60" manufactured by James Walker & Co. The Seal is reportedly made in Japan or Europe.

Is anyone familiar with this type of material, and what is the governing spec? Is this a French National Spec and is there an equivalent American material spec (MIL-R-83248, AMS 3216, etc.)?

Also, the configuration of the seal is quite odd. I've seen Quad-Seal Back Up Seals, but this seal has two lobes of different sizes (.060R & .025R) at the two opposite corners of an equivalent Quad-Seal. Is this a common configuration for a Back-Up Seal?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Chris Marinelli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Green is a European color code for fluorocarbon rubber, whereas we use brown in the US. If it is a backup ring then it almost certainly is a 90A hardness. The 83248 spec is obsolete now and AMS7279 would probably be the governing spec. In recent years the encouragement has been to use ASTMD 2000 in specifying materials. It allows the engineer to tailor material to the application rather than having application properties diluted to satisfy unnecessary properties included in a set specification.
This for example would be HK 910 A1 B37 E31
It would also have met the requirement of 83248 cl 2
bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back