Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voltage Drop on 1 of 3 Phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlmartin

Electrical
Nov 22, 2004
US
I have a three phase, 480/277, 750kVA, Y-Y solidly grounded, transformer with 4 runs of 500MCM copper to the service entrance (approximately 60 ft). A voltage recorder at the meter shows several voltage blinks on 1 phase, while the other 2 phases seem normal. The voltage that drops on the single phase does not seem to be dropping with an increase in load current. For example, at one point, I gathered the following:

Aphase: 430A, 281V
Bphase: 460A, 155V
Cphase: 575A, 282V

This has occured several times over a 1 month period, but the single phase voltage that drops is not always the same phase.
Does anyone know a probable cause? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The blinks are instantaneous. The attached graph shows the blinks. I think the sample interval is set for 1 minute, so it's hard to tell on the graph.

The transformer connections and primary connections were checked and everything looked ok. Is it likely that the problem could be resulting from the transformer itself?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bc1fea20-ff45-437c-8b80-356dd574b59a&file=voltage_problem.bmp
Are you on a long distribution circuit and are there a lot of single phase loads or unbalanced three phase loads on your circuit?
What you are seeing may be voltage regulators operating. If there is a lot of current unbalance on your distribution circuit, there will be neutral currents and voltage drops on the neutral. That will give you phase shifts and unbalanced voltages. You may be seeing a voltage regulator changing taps in response to changing single phase loading..

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Can you give more information?
Duration of the blinks, common time of day, for example.

Have you contacted the utility (or are you the utility?)

Do you know anything about the utility source?

Any weather correlation?

I am also interested in what the distribution circuit looks like. If, as waross suggests, it is a long circuit there are distribution events that might explain it.

For what it is worth the transformer itself wouldn't be high on my list of suspects.

Just for clarity, there is only one service from this transformer?

I work for a utility. As shown in the attachment, the blinks occur randomly. However, I am able to relate a couple of the events to weather.

The three phase portion of the ciruit is about 5 miles long, with most of the single phase taps protected by relosers or fuses. The three phase line feeds through the transformer to a three phase lift station.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4b231610-e7ff-427c-867b-a6a93d5676e5&file=voltage_problem1.bmp
An answer that would make perfect sense on one system may sound foolish on another system. On a soft system, recloser operation may cause voltage dips. On a firm system recloser operation ma not make much difference. Your dips may be orginating at the pumping station, on the distribution line ahead of the pumping station or on the distribution line past the station.
Are you getting current spikes to accompany your voltage dips?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Pretty tough to tell much with that time scale. If this feeder is overhead, it could just be a tree limb hitting the lines, a squirrel, or some other type of transient event.

The duration of the event would be helpful. Can you configure the power meter to trigger on voltage excursions and record some waveforms?

Or some funky voltage regulators as waross suggested.

your sub breaker inst setting is causing the breaker to open when ever you have these problems(trees, weather etc).
You may want to see if you can remove the inst relay and operate with out it, using only the time delay settings.

The feeder breaker is set with a time delayed setting of 150A grd trip and 420A phase trip. I'm not aware of an instantaneous trip.

Since the minimum voltage does not reach zero, the dips are not caused by trips on the circuit where the measurements were taken.

There could be faults on taps to the circuit resulting in fuse blowing and voltage dips, but this is unlikely because there are so many and fuse blowing would cause a permanent fault to other customers.

There could be single phase faults and recloser operations on other circuits from the same MV bus. The faults would cause the bus voltage to dip. It seems unusual that they are all on the same phase.

There could be intermittent tree contact that causes a high current on the circuit, but not high enough or long enough to trip the breaker. Considering the frequency and that they are all on the same phase, this seems like a likely culprit. Are there any single phase taps on the distribution feeder that go through trees?

Yes, the distribution feeder has some single phase taps that go through trees. I am going to field inspect the circuit again to get a closer look. Thanks guys.

A poorly maintained load-tap changer or voltage regulator (or set for that matter) while changing taps where the contacts are eroded or the drive mechanism is damaged can "break-before-make" on its contacts which will cause blinking lights for all customers downstream of the device on the phase(s) with bad contacts. In an LTC, different tap positions can affect different phases. Testing at other customers on the same phase(s) can pinpoint such an issue. Shortening the recording interval can provide better information.

Loose probes in elbows or bad bushing inserts can cause intermittent voltage dips not necessarily associated with high loads if the issue is determined to be localized.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back