Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Voltage limitation on Underground Cables at Mine Sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majesus

Electrical
Aug 16, 2007
SA
Pennsylvania Bureau of Deep Mine Safety has a voltage restriction on underground transmission at mines:
"Secondary or underground transmission voltage shall not exceed fifteen thousand volts, nominal, phase-to-phase. "

Does anyone know if the larger national governing bodies such as OSHA, MSHA, NEC and even CSA has a voltage limitation for transmitting power via underground cables at mines?

I did look through
CSA M421-00 Use of Electricity in Mines,
CSA C22 No 96.1-04 Mine power feeder cables
and OSHA and MSHA websites.

Didn't find anything particular on this subject underground transmission cables.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I too am unaware of any such regulation. I did as you did majesus and looked through my copy of CSA M421-00 Use of Electricity in Mines - I found nothing.

I understand that there are many coal mines in that region - in that regard a limitation on voltage seems to make sense. It seems to me that fifteen thousand volts, however, would be more than sufficient to ignite stray coal dust.

I did find the following document on the MSHA website, but it only very briefly discusses the amount of electricity needed for coal dust ignition.

---
Cory Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back