Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume from pressure drop during hydrotest 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snyper

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2006
CA
Hello

Wondering if there is a quick formula to calculate volume of water lost from a pipeline under hydrostatic test, given a known drop in pressure and total volume in system. Test medium is water.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where do I get the compressibility factor?
I know that if the line has air in it the calculation will be out, but I am only after a rough estimate, so will assume the line contains only water.
Thanks

Isothermal compressibility of water at 20[sup]o[/sup]C,

[κ] = -(1/V)([∂] V/[∂] P)[sub]T[/sub]= 4.59 [×] 10[sup]-4[/sup]/MPa​

At 30[sup]o[/sup]C, [κ] = 4.48 [×] 10[sup]-4[/sup]/MPa

You didn't specify, but all the computations above seem to assume steel pipe. When hydrostatic testing plastic pipe (HDPE), there is a volume allowance for the pipe to "stretch" that shows up as a pressure drop. Once the test pressure is restored by adding more water, then the actual leak test begins. Look at "Plastic Pipe Institute" on the web and then their guidelines for testing.

the question is "is there is a quick formula to calculate volume of water lost from a pipeline under hydrostatic test"

according to my understanding there should be no water lost during hydro test

athomas236:

Kudos for your accurate analysis of the basic, original question and the correct response. No hydrotest is valid or acceptable if it has to withstand water leaks.

Agreeably, the original question probably isn't worded or written correctly but, until it is, the answer is just as athomas has replied.

Who said anything about this hydrotest being valid or acceptable? ;) In the real world, tests do sometimes fail. The formula I was chasing was to give a basic understanding of the severity of the failure.
Cheers for all your replies guys.

The fun thing about a test with water is that any leak will take the pressure to zero very quickly. I did a test once that dropped two miles of 10-inch pipe from 900 psig to zero in 15 minutes through a reasonably small packing leak in a 1-inch gate valve.

I was hoping that someone would be able to provide you with a way that I could estimate how much volume that would be, but the number is vanishingly small.

David

Ref:
“Pipe Line Rules of Thumb Handbook” E.W. McAllister, Editor, 4th edition
Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, Texas

Appendix A, Page 127 & 128, Volume of Water Required to Fill Test Section

Equation and Sample Calculation are given in the Appendix.

Equation:

Vtp = V * Fwp * Fpp * Fpwt

Vtp = Gallons in section at test pressure

Fwp = Factor to correct for compressibility of water from 0 to test pressure

Fpp = Factor to correct for volume change in pipe from 0 to test pressure

Fpwt = Factor to correct for the change in water volume and pipe volume due to change in temperature from 60 to pipe and water temp.

This reference list out the equations for V, Fwp, Fpp, and Fpwt so it should answer your question.

I have some formulas that take into account the size and wall thickness of the pipe, the temperature of the underground and above ground piping and the length of the pipe. But the easiest way is to drain a known amount of water out of the line and see how much your pressure drops and calculate from that. Remember though that temperature change will make a huge difference in pressure, always let your water stabilize to the ground temp around the pipe for at least 24 hours. I was involved in a test last year that was on 30 inch pipe 20 miles long with water being put in from a river at 85 degrees and it took over a week for the pressure to stop dropping from temp change. Once the temp stabilized it held a perfect test.

My local standards provide for allowable leakage in gallons per length per time per pipe size (for water systems). The only way I can think of to accurately quantify leakage for the test is to refill the system at the end of the test and measure (with a flowmeter or other device) the volume required to get back to starting pressure.
Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back