Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vortex Lattice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerritgroot

Aerospace
Oct 1, 2009
ES
Hi,

I'm looking for literature on the vortex lattice method, or prandtl's lifting line method.

This is so old now that I suppose it's freely available.

If not, an advise for a good book explaining this will do as well.

Thanks in advance,

Gerrit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Gerritgroot:

I think you are workin on lift distribution. The named method
Prandtl-Glauert or Glauert can be well read in "AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES OF David Peery". This method is based on lifting line theory and solved with Fourier series.

About "VORTEX LATTICE METHOD" theory:
"VORTEX LATTICE METHOD FOR CALCULATION of QUASI STEADY LOADINGS on thin ELASTIC WINGS in SUBSONIC FLOW"
FFA 105
Aeronautical Research Institute
Sweden 1966

More simple theory of VLM can be readed in:

Cheers !

There seem to be two editions of David Peery's "Aircraft Structures", one of the 50's and one of the 80's.

According to the reviews, the 80's edition is much worse.

Anyone who may confirm this? (Before I buy...)

I have both copies (a) the first edition of Aircraft Structures by Peery (1949) and (b) Aircraft Structures by Peery and Azar (1982). If money is tight, I'd recommend the earlier (1949) edition, as it is more comprehensive, and better suited to someone who wants to be a stress engineer.

The theory (Prandtl-Glauert) is briefly discussed in Peery (1949) Chapter 9 - Spanwise Air-Load DIstribution, referencing H. Glauert's earlier work, "The Elements of Aerofoil and Airscrew Theory", Cambridge University Press, London. 1926.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back