Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPI (VCI) Paper use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinScowen

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2005
US
We pack various parts for our service dept by first wrapping them in VPI paper, then bubble wrap, then packing in a cardboard box. We have various sizes of parts, and hence various sizes of VPI paper to wrap them in.

In our company it has always been the assumption that for the VPI paper to be effective, it should completely enclose the parts, but, from the reading around I have been doing, the corrosion protection comes when the anti corrosive chemicals in the paper get in to the air around the part.

The questions I have are:
If we used a smaller sheet of paper, so did not get complete enclosure of the part in paper, but are subsequently wrapping in bubble wrap and a cardboard carton, will we then have 'less' corrosion protection? Or is the level of corrosion protection independent of the amount of paper used?
Does the storage of the VPI paper itself, before it is wrapped around our parts also affect the level of corrosion protection given. I assume that 10 year old paper that has been subject to temperature variations will be a lot less effective than a freshly delivered batch. Is this a correct assumption, and if so, are there any recommendations for storage? (We buy through a re-seller who doesn't want us to contact the original manufacturer.)

The parts in question are sub assemblies of various steels that are spare parts for powertools.

Colin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These guys have been making the stuff for years, I'd contact them or browse their website for info. My understanding is that rolls of the VCI paper are stable for years, but the stuff starts to degrade (release the inhibitor vapors) as soon as you peel it off the roll. Also, the amount of paper to use is dictated by surface area of the part, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back