Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

VRLA batteries and gas detection requirements 1

tapankatwala

Electrical
May 12, 2007
CA
Hello,

I wanted to inquire if there are any known requirements for gas detection meters for VRLA (valve-regulated lead-acid) batteries which are used in to serve data centres? I understand that VRLA batteries usually re-combine hydrogen and oxygen and keep the moisture sealed within the battery, but small amount of hydrogen may escape during regular charging event and considerable amounts during overcharging event.

Is hydrogen gas detection system usually used in areas with VRLA batteries?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In three different states, I've seen 3 different set ups for VRLA batteries in a brand new substation control house. #1 - No special monitoring equipment. #2 - Batteries in containment with a garage door like set up with monitoring. #3- Full blown battery monitoring and fire suppression system. My guess is that it is up to the local codes.

Yes, hydrogen detection systems are recommended for VRLA battery areas, especially in confined spaces like data centers. While VRLA batteries minimize gas escape, small amounts of hydrogen can still be released, particularly during overcharging, so detection systems are a good safety precaution.

'..I wanted to inquire if there are any known requirements for gas detection meters for VRLA (valve-regulated lead-acid) batteries which are used in to serve data centres?..'
I have the following opinion for your consideration.
1. In US where NEC prevails, see Art 480-8 (a), Ventilation . " provisions shall be made for sufficient diffusion and ventilation of the gases from the battery to prevent ...." There is NO mention of gas detection meter and HOW to provide sufficient ventilation...
2. Info: This is NOT applicable to data centers, but useful information see Art 551-10 (d), ".. the compartment shall be ventilated with opening having a minimum area..."
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Back