Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VRLA Battery Station- Emergency Shower / Emergency Eyewash Station Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo96734

Electrical
Apr 9, 2013
US
Is a emergency shower and eyewash station required for VRLA battery station?
Located indoors in a well ventilated electrical substation building.
Total of 20 sealed vrla batteries in an indoor/outdoor battery enclosure.
MSDS states" Batteries, Wet, non-spillable", "This is to certify that the "Non-Spillable" batteries are capable of withstanding the
Vibration and Pressure Different Tests specified in the above regulations and that at a
temperature of 55 degrees Centigrade, the electrolyte will not flow from a ruptured or
cracked case and there is no free liquid to flow. The batteries when packaged have been
protected against short-circuiting and plainly marked " Non-Spillable Battery".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jimbo:
My company generally doesn't use VRLAs because we find them to have a shorter life. We do keep both eyewash and shower available anyway, likely more to keep a consistent approach and there are often other chemicals around we might want them for.
I am not completely certain of the legal requirements but I would still recommend wash stations. The batteries do have electrolyte even if it doesn't flow easily. The batteries may (worst case) face a short circuit, fire or other event which causes the electrolyte to become airborne.

That's my two cents, though I'm in Canada and we're getting rid of the penny. Since 2 cents rounds down to zero, it's the value of my opinion!!
good luck,

Hello Jimbo,
I believe NFPA speaks about the volume of electrolyte that is in the room. It does not get into the state of the substance. If you are above the threshold level, (I don't recall off-hand what that is), there are various requirements that are triggered. We were required by our AHJ to install the eyewash and shower for our station battery room. We had the ventilation and fire rating and all the other items called for and needed to include these as well by the State Fire Marshall's office, (this was for the 12.47 kV service lineup at a prison hospital in California).
Good luck,
Jim Murillo

Sure, if nothing breaks and the batteries don't spill or get dropped or fall off of the forklift/pallet, then you will never need the eyewash/flush station.

But when an accident happens - which shouldn't happen in the first place, right? - since all of our workers never make mistakes, right? - then you need the eyewash station immediately available right there at the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back