Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSD/VFD Pump Controller PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiparadise

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2016
ID
Dear Expert,

I have a question for certain condition as describe (commissioning step):

- a pump intent to serve multi-product of hydrocarbon. Let says product A and B. When the pump serve the Product A, the demand and certain capacity of the operation is satisfy. The pump using VSD to make power consumption effective and to make the rpm decreasing smoothly until the capacity of product reached.
- When the pump served the Product B ( different SG with product A ) the capacity demand of the operation is not satisfied (larger than demand requirement). We have done any trial and error to solve the problem, and we got one. We stop the pump suddenly by "mother" controller PLC. BUT it is not satisfied enough to do, because we need the smooth decreasing rpm of motor&pump to meet the certain capacity (consider life time of pump and power consumption efficiency).

Is there any suggestion or advice to solve my problem ? Maybe some of you ever met same problem that I am facing right now

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many VFD:s have inputs so you can select different sets of parameters depending on requirements. I know for sure that Siemens has that.

There are at least four parameter sets that can be chosen by inputting 00, 01, 10 or 11 on two terminals. That would make different ramp times possible and that would solve the problem.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Skogs is correct, most modern VFDs have selectable ramps rates that can be selected by toggling discrete inputs on the VFD. Alternately, if your PLC is controlling the VFD speed via (say) a 4-20mA signal to the drive, why not build variable ramp rates into the PLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back