W-Shape column on CMU wall corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJC3636

Structural
Nov 26, 2018
US
Hello all,

I have a Bldg that is CMU on the first level and Steel framing second level with Gypsum to enclose the second floor. My columns land on the corners of the CMU block. How can I anchor my Column down to provide stability and prevent uplift? Column is 17’ high and seismic load is 8.7k distributed across 4 columns. Currently I have a common detail that uses (4)3/4” dia 4”long HSA spaced at 6” e.w. But I don’t think that will get the job done.

Any tips would be appreciated, I am just learning masonry on the fly. The blocks have a 12” depth. The framing supports a 6” slab that will prevent some uplift, but the trib area is only 8’ by 13’.

Thanks in advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Provide a concrete filled cell reinforced with full height reinforcement anchored into the foundation and an anchor plate with dowels as required to resist tension. Then weld the column to the anchor plate.

If preferred, the column base plate could be bolted to the anchor plate.

BA

If you can get your hands on a copy of TMS 402/ACI 530 it goes into anchorage at the top of walls.

I'm usually not a fan of loading the top of masonry in tension regardless of if the formulas check out, so I try to lap/splice the anchorage with wall reinforcement that continues down to the foundation, as BAretired suggests.

Open Source Structural Applications:

In addition to tensile forces, pay close attention to your shear transfer mechanisms at the wall ends. Unless you're engaging the slab or the bond beams robustly, that may govern your connection design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back