Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadeRabbit

Structural
Dec 27, 2007
US
I'm trying to find some salary information.

Currently I have 10 yrs. experience.
BS & MS degrees.
Licensed and hold an NCEES M.L.S.E.

What would you pay me?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NATIONAL COUNCIL OF EXAMINERS FOR ENGINEERING AND SURVEYING.

MODEL LAW STRUCTURAL ENGINEER

CURRENTLY A PROJECT ENGINEER.
LICENSED STRUCTURAL ENGINEER.

Experienced in
Industrial
Transportation
Commercial
Residential

JadeRabbit:

Where are you located? This makes a very large differance.

My area is a mid-size city in the Midwest (USA). IMHO, a resonably competent Structural Engineer fitting your description, in a non-managerial position, would command somewhere around $70,000 to $75,000 in salary plus appropriate bonus based on performance during the year.

A known superior performer would command more.

Our company would not consider a known inferior performer at any price.

Look at the City of Chicago pay ranges for Structural Engineer IV or Structural Engineer V.

I'm not sure if SEAOI publishes an annual salary survey but it could be a resource. Also, you may check out their websites for job posting by local firms. Though usually they don't list salaries, some may give ranges.

WOW! 70k - 75k? I sure hope I am making more than that when I get the level of experience of JadeRabbit (I am outside of Philadelphia - certainly comparable to Chicago).

don't mean to butt in to a predominantly structural thread but $70k-75k? i'll make more than that as a geotech when i get to a similar level...and you structural folks get a hefty premium over us. i'm essentially "average" relative to pay within my discipline based on the ASCE survey.

70-75k!? That seems extremely low. There are some people who graduated with me this month who are getting 68k from McDermott and CDI, and I heard 63k from CBI (Chicago Bridge and Iron). And these aren't people with great GPA's either.

Omaha, NE. Going rate out of school seems to be 50-55k. I would expect upper 60's for someone newly licensed. 10 years experience I would think around 80k. Keep in mind the cost of living here is less than about anywhere else.

Location is VERY important in salary comparisions.

Base on a cost of living index I found on the web, $75k in my town is approximately $97k in Philly or $105K in Chicago.

As in real estate its location, location, location.

H57:

Assuming a $5k to $7.5 bonus on my orginal $70k/$75k, I think we are in the same general ballbark.

What should be a salary range for a person having a P.E and an M.Sc with 7 years of experience in bridge/marine pier/facility design etc in mid Atlantic states in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back