Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

walkway steps 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randel

Civil/Environmental
Jan 22, 2009
US
I am replacing walkways from homes to sidewalks at back of street curbs. We lowered the roadway and some walkways need steps.What is the minimum landing distance for each step?
8 3/4" is max for the rise of each step. Most are two and three steps. These are not stairs and I think 8 and 12" landings are too short. Any advice or specification would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, your are right. External steps should not be as steep as internal stairs.

I think 8 3/4" is too high for an external riser.

One rule of thumb commonly used by landscapers is: 2R+T=26.
Thus, for a 6" riser, use 14" tread, for 7" riser, use 12" tread. These are comfortable for walking.

Randel...your condition would be classified as monument steps, not stairs; however, the step requirements are essentially the same. Many older codes and the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101) referenced something similar to Hokie66's reference, with the sum of two risers and a tread falling between 24 and 25 inches.

Gait research and numerous trip and fall lawsuits have borne these numbers out, so it would be prudent to stay in that range.

This is residential. Be careful. It depends on your state building code and any local changes. After two or three steps, depending on the locality, they may require railings.

Call the local building permits department. Describe the situation and they will tell you exactly what the requirements are. If it has to include railings, they have to be between specific heights and the railing itself has to have a certain thickness, etc.

You can buy the residential code for your state from the website Depending upon what you want, they run about one hundred dollars. NY State puts it online but it is very difficult to find anything and/or navigate through it. If you are in a different state, it may be online and easier.

Good luck.

YES - Call your local code enforcement.

I usually follow the 7-11 rule = 7'' up - 11'' wide... Usually works - BUT check!! After three steps - usually need handrails....

Instead of providing steps why not just slope the walkways to the road. In the picture one of the walkway is sloped and i don't see any harm in sloping the one you are working on. Why not eliminate a potential trip hazard.

I was thinking the same. THe steps are not handicap accessible. If you only have one or two steps, why not just make it handicap accessible?

I would much rather have those two steps, personally. Also, that looks like a driveway behind the worker, not another walkway.

Homes are not required to be accessible under ADA or other typical accessibility codes. Having said that, there appears to be enough room to put a low slope walkway instead of steps, assuming all are similar to the photo. If the slope exceeds 2 percent, you might be required to provide a rail, under some codes.

But moot point...apparently you are on with forming steps!

I want to Thank everyone for their input.
That is a driveway on the farside of the steps.
Remember Im working in a neighborhood and every homeowner is differant in what they want. Some want steps and some dont.The more the slope is the more soil around the walkway has to be removed and reshaped. No pay item for hand rails.
I had one resident complain who had 2 steps and we installed 1 step back because the new roadway elev. was raised by 5". Others had no steps and we installed 2 or 3 steps.Another resident didn't want steps but a sloped walkway 2'-6" rise in 18 LF. I dont like steps myself.
Thanks again

Make sure that the stair heights are consistant!!!! They will be trip hazzards if they are not.

Check the code, but I believe that the rise has to be within 1/4" step to step, within 3/8" over the entire flight of stairs.

I was involved with a project years ago where concrete stairways were an absolute disaster. We made the contractors tear them all out & replace them because they were so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back