Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wall Bracket connection load eccentricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJS1878

Structural
Aug 8, 2023
GB
Hi, I have a design of a wall bracket that consists of a 40mm thick MS plate that will be bolted to an R.C. wall using resin anchors. A UB section is rotated 90degrees on its side and welded to this wall plate in addition to a stiffener plate below that at the centre. The wall plate forms part of a knee stay style bracket where the horizontal member of the knee stay is bolted to the rotated UB stub with 4No bolts.

There is a high vertical load of 180kN on the end of the Knee stay and it is a weird detail due to constraints not discussed. due to this load on the end, there is a 180kN tensile "pull out" force on the wall plate. The attached details shows this as well as an eccentricity of the load path.

Due to the way the horizontal member of the knee stay is connected to the wall plate, with 4No bolts on the bottom flange, can I assume there is no eccentricity or at least smaller? Or following the node points of the members do I need to take into account an eccentricity between the centre of the wall plate and centreline of the horizontal knee stay member? The reason I am asking is because the moment this creates his high (21kNm)

Thanks in advance!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2994c472-d349-4e4b-ab6c-f8ae66261661&file=section_through_of_top_wall_plate.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot ignore the eccentricity . The 40mm thick MS base plate stiffness is more than enough to assume elastic distribution of the forces and developing moment.
The following doc . will be useful to look .

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0765f8d2-5d1e-45b7-9770-a7bf4d6496fe&file=InFaSo_Design-Emmanual_II_En.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back