Wall thickness calculation by using Equation (B-1) in ASME B16.34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng.Husky

Industrial
Aug 17, 2023
NL
Hallo everyone,

Wall thickness requirements for valve bodies are specified in para. 6.1. The minimum wall thickness values, tm, shown/calculated in:

1. Table 3

2. Wall thickness equation of Mandatory Appendix VI

3. Wall thickness equation (B-1) of Mandatory Appendix B

ASME B16.34 indicates in Mandatory Appendix B (paragraph B-1.3 Wall Thickness):
Equation (B-1) is included only as an item of general interest. Equation (B-1) is not to be used for design calculations and is not to be used as a substitute for either Table 3A or Table 3B values or Mandatory Appendix VI equations.

My questions:

1. Is a wall thickness calculation a design calculation?

2. Is it possible to use Equation (B-1) in mandatory appendix B to calculate the wall thickness?

3. What is the different between the equation of mandatory appendix VI and the equation (B-1) in mandatory appendix B?

Thank you very much for your time.

Ali Al-Saadi
Mechanical Engineer
The Netherlands

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please read the standard again. Paragraph 6.1 says to use Table 3A, 3B OR Mandatory Appendix VI to determine minimum wall thickness.

Appendix B is Nonmandatory and is for information only.

I don't know what you mean by "design calculation". Wall thickness is simply looked up in Table 3A or Table 3B. You may need to do some linear interpolation for intermediate values.

Well I have a valve which has 3.5 thickness and according to table it must be 3.8mm. It fails the asme 16.34 rigt? And do you know which other asme standard I can use for it?

Yes, it is astm a351 cf8m. 3 pc ball valve, 1000 wog. And I have 2 more dn80 and dn100 which are out of scope for asme 16.34. Which standard I should look for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back