Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wall thickness of pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdanielods

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
GB
Dear Sirs:

I just have a brief question in regard to the physical properties of pipes.

Is it possible to obtain the wall thickness of pipes by only knowing the piping class (for instance B3) and the ASME pressure class. I have not got information in regard to the pipe schedule. I just know the nominal diameter, and the pipe class and I need to get the wall thickness of some pipes.

Regards
Daniel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Daniel,
If you know the pressure class (e.g. 300 LB) then you could "over-design" and assume the highest pressure rating for that class at the highest temperature and assume a significant corrosion allowance and then determine the thicknesses for a range of materials. However I would ask for a project line list and determine the pipe thicknesses based on the information stated by GregLamberson above to achieve economic pipe schedules.

GLamberson was directing you towards a minimum wall thickness calculation provided that you obtained the criteria that he had identified. Upon determining the required minimum wall thickness based on your applicable criteria than you can determine the probable schedule of the pipe as referred by DBS

jdanielods, it would be a huge leap in faith that the original designer or party that wrote the spec had a complete match of flange class and pipewall. I've sen lots of plants have 6" sch 40 grade B pipe and class 600 flanges. The pipe won't get to 1480 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back