Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Want to get Texas PE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud69

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2013
US
Hi,

I hold a PE in Ohio. I just got a job in Texas public sector and Texas Board of Professional Engineers website wasn't very clear on reciprocity.

If you went through similar experience, please share. Btw, I've already completed the Ethics Exam on tbpe website.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cloud69,
I hold an NCEE certificate, which is supposed to make the reciprocity process a lot smoother.
I have held a Texas license by reciprocity for about 8 years, but it was still a long process.
I think I had to provide a narrative describing previous projects along with some other stuff which was atypical of most other states which I hold reciprocity. Also that new fingerprinting/background check exercise was another pain.

-dd

From --
I have taken and passed the NCEES exams and am licensed in another jurisdiction. Can I obtain my license by reciprocity or comity?

The Act does not allow a true reciprocity or comity between Texas and another state, but does allow an individual licensee in another state and meeting the minimum requirements the ability to apply for a license. The Board will accept the results of NCEES examinations passed in another state. Anyone currently licensed in another state will need to submit a complete application including supplementary experience records (SERs), ethics exam, official transcripts, fee, references, and other applicable documents to support the request for licensure.

A current NCEES record may also be submitted in lieu of the SERs, official transcripts, professional engineer references, and exam and license verifications.
--

Those of us renewing in TX from out of state this year have needed to get background checks (fingerprints, etc) though a IL-based company. That has been a pain.

First-time registration? Don't know.

The good news is that so far Texas has not required any visits to proctologists to renew your license.
[wiggle]

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

The Texas Legislature, in its infinite wisdom, decided a couple of years ago to require all licensees, of all kinds, to have a fingerprint and background check. The same company (Morpho Trust) has contracts to take fingerprints for all professional licensees, all drivers licensees, and things like concealed handgun licensees that haven't previously submitted paper prints.

If it's like other things here lately, Gov. Perry has a family member who runs that business.

I had my fingers printed at my local police station, the inside of which I had never had the privilege of seeing. It was gloomy and sobering. In any case they were accepted and I got a copy for my office wall next to my TX PE License.

I was a former Texas PE and recently got re-licensed by reciprocity with an NCEES record. I was very confused by the background check deal. I understand the money part and lobbying by companies like Morpho trust to get these into law but could not equate this to Gov. Perry and the party of small government. Is there a general problem in the engineering community with criminal acts? I think not and 49 other states probably don't see it that way either.

I got my fingerprints at the local small town sherrifs office. It was taking a little while for the person to get things into the computer and several deputies started to come in and gather around. Finally an apology for the delay came with an explanation that my name matched someone with an arrest warrant and I was close to being placed into custody. Now the FBI has more personal information than I would have cared to give them.

Sorry for the rant but I thought someone here may identify with it.

I've discussed this in a couple of threads. See thread784-367828. It's amazing how Texas is all over small government when it comes to small things like education, but when one of their buddies wants to feed at the trough, sure, we'll open someone's (else's) wallet at the end of a gun barrel.
Oh, and by the way; THE HIGHEST ENGINEERING LICENSE RENEWAL FEES THAT I HAVE TO PAY. As a matter of fact, Texas has the highest renewal fee than any other state and you have to pay it every year. Everyone else is less and you pay for a two or three year renewal. And I'm registered in 9 states.

Tennessee has a Professional Privilege tax that is higher than Texas' rate. It's not billed as part of the renewal, it's a different fee.
The Texas fee is basically broken down as $35 renewal and $200 tax/moneygrab.

Wow! I appreciate the level of response to this thread. @JedClampett, I should have phrased my intent clearer. "The Act does not allow a true reciprocity" threw me off a bit & the generous readers of eng-tips pointed me in navigating the bureaucratic policy & paperwork.

So just to clarify, NCEES record can stand in place of SER? NCEES record, printout direct from the website? Or is this a written request to NCEES to mail official record?

Thank you.

My TX SER was written a long time ago but I don't think it can be replaced by the NCEES file.

The SER was a bit more detailed.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back