Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warbirds and the FAA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWIIPlaneGuy

Aerospace
May 7, 2005
US
The new kid on the block is looking for old hats who know -337s and STCs.
What is the quickest & easiest way to get FAA approval for mods and repairs?
I have done some side jobs for friends with Warbirds, designing repairs for cracked spars and mods for avionics boxes...but I have kept it to experimental aircraft only.
I'm a professional Aerospace (Structures) Engineer with the Government (not FAA) where I evaluate corrosion grindouts, design repairs, and develop mods all the time, but I know that FAA rules are different. What does the FAA expect in a 337? In a STC request? If I design a small GPS antenna mount for a Normal category aircraft, would it require a 337? What about evaluation of corrosion damage on a wing (e.g. net section loss)? New instrument panel layout?
How long should I expect FAA approval to take? If I go to a Structural DER does it still go to the FAA?
Thanks all...I appreciate the insights!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think your best course of action is to consult a DER who can get the details done without wasting time on learning procedural matters (he already knows them). With that out of the way, you and he will discuss the mods and repairs from a technical viewpoint until he's satisfied that the certification requirements are met (depending on the aircraft in question).

Don't start working on an Normal Category aircraft until you know that the licensed mechanic responsible for it can legally sign out the work you do. (If you're not a licensed A&P the scope of work you can do is limited.) The mechanic will be looking for data that comes either from a DER or other acceptable sources before signing the book.

Steven Fahey, CET

Most FSDO's only give field approvals with FAA approved data these days. Min' 8110-3 DER approval.

All DER approvals go to the FAA. If the DER is delegated for alterations and repairs his approval is all you need, but there will need to be drawings to approve. DER is quick and the FAA propably won't even look at it without DER involvement.

Nigel Waterhouse B Eng (Hon's)
Can-Am Aerospace,LLC, Canadian Aircraft Certification Centre

PlaneGuy,

Nigel - is 100% correct. Find a FAA DER that has the ratings you are looking....ie if you're installing a GPS antenna make sure he's structural. To what invlovement will you need a DER well from experience when the DER signs of on the 8110 he's putting his ars on the line. So with that said the DER will tell you what you need to bring to the table---pending his approval of your work will dictate his comfort level with you design. One more thing...the world of DER's is small a good ol boy network...I've been trying to get into that network for sometime now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back