Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Warehouse Heating Load Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gem24

Military
Jul 14, 2003
US
How would one determine the heating load for a warehouse where all that needs to be heated is the area near the ceiling to 45-50F. All they want to do is keep the pipes from freezeing. How should I determine the heating load for such a case?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally I'd say you would calculate the heat load in the exact same way, except that the delta T between indoor and outdoor temperatures would be reduced.

You could probably reduce the amount of heat you put into the space by looking at what percentage of the space you are heating (only the top half, or third).

The total building heat loss would still be used at a given delta T. Local outdoor design temp / required indoor design temp. I have had the best results with air rotation units even if you are not trying to heat at floor level. This is still the best way to handle keeping sprinklers from freezing. One reason is stratification. Keeping the air moving will keep the cold spots evened out and allow lower heating set points and save on gas consumption.

Carrier's handbook has some equations (which are vague) and some tables (good) for estimating overall heat transfer coefficients. What is the pipe fluid temperature?

Regards,

Eng-Tips.com : Solving your problems before you get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back