Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Warping in FDM simulation

mosta1

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2023
US
Hi,
I'm trying to simulate the FDM process. I'm using the AM module trying to see a warping effect on printed ABS material. In all the examples provided by Abaqus they used fixed constrained on the bottom of the shapes but that doesn't make sense in my simulation. I have fixed three points in the corner of the shape but I'm not getting the correct results too.
What do you suggest I can use for boundary conditions?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for answer.
The real part is a supported by heated bed, my problem when I tried this approach is how can I define the contact between the planes.
Yes, there is a symmetry plane, mostly in ZY or ZX as I always use primitive shapes like cubes.

You can use contact or tie constraint between the part being built and the build plate normally (like in a regular analysis without AM features). There are even examples like this within Abaqus documentation and other resources. Symmetry will be more tricky to use because you would have to take it into account in toolpaths and make sure there are no asymmetric effects. So I would just tie the part with the build plate/table for now.

Back