Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wash Oil Optimum Flow rate Calculation in HYSYS Simulator for Cracked Gas Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEMSTRONG

Petroleum
Sep 5, 2007
IN
I want to know how to calculate optimum flow rate of wash oil and wash water for Cracked Gas Compressor in Ethylene Plant . How to simulate it in Hysys simulator? Please help me now. Please help me what all data is required for this now?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I dont think this is process or chemical engineering related, more to do with max permissible water or oil spray rates permissible in centrifugal compressors to keep stable operation. Ask the compressor manufacturer. They should advise what the max gas - liquid spray ratios are for each compressor stage. They should also advise where the injection nozzles should be located and required nozzle dp to get the right degree of atomisation.

Dear Sir,

It is possible to calculated wash oil rate using simulator . But I don't know the procedure . What you have mentioned is thumb rule or best practices approach for wash oil rate !!

I want to know how we can develop wash oil optimization in Hysys or any other simulation software ?

I used an Excel spreadsheet for that. No simulator.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning dance in the rain.

Agree this is more of a process technology related question. Typical wash oil injection rates for the compressor will be function of compressor throughput, type of fouling expected based on gas/liquid/mixed feed cracking. There is data available in open literature for typical rates. Note the wash oil will ultimately end up in your pygas stream.
For water injection optimize water addition at compressor discharge to achieve a target gas stream saturation temperature around 85 to 95 deg C.

But what should be optimum rate for current plant conditions . I think we need to evaluate first present fouling rate in compressor and aftercoolers and then see how much wash oil is required. I want to know if fouling is completely reversible ??

Can you plz tell me how u did it or send me an email now ?

I can do the calculation for you (calculate BFW injected at each section, temperature reached), but this is not a free service.
Otherwise, yes I can confirm a simulator is not really needed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning dance in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back