Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

waste incinerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake1

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2003
Trying to find plans for a small incinerator to fabricate in Nicaragua, Central America. Am trying to make an incinerator to use for small house project and train some welders to make these to burn their trash at a high temp - instead of open burning in the back yard.

Please Help, been looking all over the internet.
Jake Scheideman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have worked on large incinerators and 55 gallon size incinerators. The common principal is to get lots of air by way of fans. As I recall 800 degrees F is the temp needed to get the process really going. I would think that if nothing else, try fabricating out of a large diameter steel pipe or weld sheets of metal 1/4" or thicker and get a small industrial fan to introduce air near the bottom to get the fire supercharged. Once it gets to 800 F, you can turn off the fan. This will get very hot and should be placed in a clear secure area. You can get hi-tech if you line the inside with kiln brick. I would also not get near the smoke as it is probably very toxic. Try looking at:

Great idea except- can all this be done without electricity? Dont really have access to electricity, but can it still work? I am looking to use the 55 gallon size idea.

Just using 55 gallon drums is not so good since they will burn through quickly. Without electricity would be hard since you really have to supercharge the flame with some kind of fan.

Hi Snake1,
To incinerate garbage, you need to have a high temperature for a set amount of time, or you produce a nightmare of polution. You should have you government standards for these values.

Yes I agree with the two above posts. I want the highest amount of degrees too! Government standards in Nicaragua?? Yeah right! Government standards - I'll try to meet them but I still need a general idea and general design for how these things work?! Where to put the door and how to make the natural air help me as much as possible, I will not have any electricity. Terrible for pollution? Well, its better than their current way which is to just burn a pile of trash in the yard, it smolders all day long! Its terrible. I will make a thick walled machine, but still want the size of a 55 gallon drum. I just want to do it better than the way they do it now, but I have limitations like electricity and knowledge of the whole technology of how these things really work.
Jake

You will need a fan to get enough air. It does not need to be electric. It could be a small engine driven fan. I don't know if you would want to consider something manual, like a pedal driven fan which may also be feasible.

We built a very simple 55 Gallon Incinerator in April. It worked really great! Got so hot it melted off my hinges and took care of lots of garbage and burned it to "nothing."
Cost me $20, cut a few holes in the bottom, fit a "rack" inside, put on a smoke stack, put in a door, and let her rip! Im sure it would work better if they had air pushed into it but it worked out ok.

Why not attempt to set up a gasification system to solve your electricity problem and eliminate the garbage problem. Is there any organized collection system possible with government assistance using the concept of economic development strategies as an incentive for action?

We can supply you an incinerator to do thids job and meet any legislation you may want - trouble is I may be a tad late?
Would you like a quotation - chances are it will be around £30k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back