Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waste Treatment Machines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAST

Chemical
Apr 27, 2000
BR
I'm looking for waste stream treatment machines to be used in apartment buildings and condominiums in South America. If you have any kind of information regarding this matter, I would be thankfull.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Sir,<br><br>I am looking too for water & waste treatment equipment<br>to be used for private houses. The aim is to convert household liquid waste into water to be used for garden irrigation. <br>I realize we are seeking similiar types of equipment and<br>I will share any information that I will aquire during my search, on a reciprocal basis. I am interested to sell<br>this equipment in Israel.<br>I would appreciate any help you may provide in my search.<br><br>Yours<br><br>Isaac Devir&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;

Dear Issac, <br><br>so far I haven't found any equipment that would serve our purposes. But if I find anything I'll sure let you know. <br><br>Best regards, <br>Marco A. Telles

Dear Isaac,<br><br>Try talking to Orenco Systems in Oregon.&nbsp;&nbsp;They have developed a good textile trickling filter that can effectively reduce TSS, BOD, and Nitrogen levels to less than 10 mg/l.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check out Orenco.com,&nbsp;&nbsp;The system is called Advantex.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Advantex system may not be in their web site as the product is just being introduced.<br><br>For ground application as irrigation water some sort of dissinfection would have to be used as well (such as UV disinfection).&nbsp;&nbsp;However, these disinfection units tend to be to expensive for a single residence.&nbsp;&nbsp;A good alternative may be a sub surface drip irrigation system for waste disposal.&nbsp;&nbsp;Geoflow makes a product to do just this.&nbsp;&nbsp;They have a web site at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> used their system on a few designs and it seems to work pretty well.<br><br>Good Luck!<br>

Garder,<br><br>thank you very much for your info. I`ll check both companies.<br><br>Appreciated you sharing your experience.<br><br>Rgs,<br>MAST

My company specializes in small system treatment and disposal technologies from a process perspective. We have assisted a number of companies to develop technologies including passive constructed wetland systems, and mechanical treatment systems. We are also involved in carrying out technology verification testing to verify performance claims. NSF International ( is a good source of information on household system performance, and they carry out the bulk of testing in North America.

In Canada, we do not irrigate treated effluent from household systems, largely due to Department of Health biases and lack of knowledge. There is an Australian company called BioCycle which claims to have 100's of such facilities using above ground irrigation. BioCycle is a simple anaerobic coarse solids separation chamber followed by an aeration chamber (with some fixed film media), and then by a clarifier. All biosolids are wasted directly to the anaerobic chamber (non-mixed). The clarified effluent is then used for shallow above or below ground irrigation. Certain areas of the US also promote shallow irrigation practices (in more arid areas of the US). There ae also some interesting technology developments in Canada. One company ( has developed a purely physical/chemical process for shipboard application which creates a highly treated effluent (less than 10 mg/L BOD and TSS). The is also another Canadian company that uses a low pressure membrane technology (Z-Weed) to generate a high quality effluent for water reuse (for toilet flushing, urinals, etc.) . Many provinces have &quot;dual plumbing&quot; codes which allow for recycled wastewater to be used for toilets, etc. For further infomration you can contact me at AquaDoc@Canada.com

I am currently working with another gentleman and we are investigating a landfill site that has perchlorethylene (perc) as a contaminate. We are trying to identify what may have been the sources of the perc. We are familiar with drycleaners as a source. We also understand that it was used as a degreaser in maintenance areas.

But, we are wondering if anyone has a listing of other sources that would processes or otherwise use perc.

Would appreciate any help or comments.

Egor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back