Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wastewater 60" Force Main Valves 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

somany

Civil/Environmental
May 26, 2006
US
I'm designing an influent 60" diameter emergency force main that operates at 28 psi for a wastewater treatment plant. 40 psi is the specified operating pressure. It will tie in to a 60" section of an existing force main.

A 60X60 tee will be installed where the new line will be connected. The present consideration is to install gate valves at the upstream side of the mainstream section of the tee and at the tee. Plug and ball valves are being considered. Suggestions will be appreciated. Is there a 60" three-way ball or plug valve that can handle this function?

The flow will contain a lot of grit and trash.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a general rule of thumb in my industry, we don't use 3 way line valves. 3-way solenoid valves on instrument air yes, in the line, no.

If there is a lot of grid and trash, a wedge gate may get gunk in the seat. You may want to look at a slab gate (through conduit gate) or ball.

At 60", a slab gate will be very expensive, so, maybe a ball? Probably very expensive also.

Not sure if I helped. Hope I did.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

60" gate valves are in the $120k each price range. We'll need 3 for the present layout. I was thinking a 3-way would eliminate a tee and 1 valve. However, problems are more expensive especially if it is due to being irresponsible.

I am working on a project right now that has 60" gate valves, 60" knife gates, 48" ball, 54" gate, and 66" gates. American R&D makes gates from 2" up to 84". As for the influent trash and such, they add flush connections that can be automatically turned on so the gate has a full seat. APCO makes ball valves in large sizes but their track record on delivery is spotty at best.

I can tell you that ordering a special 3way valve in 60" will cost a lot more that a gate and a T. Not sure who you have your pipe from, but American Cast Iron got us our 64" T's pretty fast.

Also, from the description you gave I am getting the impresion that the line is not used very often. Have you considered using a rotary check valve? You can set the opening pressure and the cost would be less because there are a lot fewer controls.

Have you considered using a 60" pinch valve for this application? No pressure drops to deal with and it's simple to install. You're probably looking at 50-75% of the cost without certain maintenance hassles.

I would think you need two pinch valves.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

aitcooper,

You mean like pneumatically with instrument air?

Here is an example of a pinch valve, and control.

Albert Einstein

Ashereng,

Thanks for the resource. I have an application where this might come in handy.

Somany,

How were planning to actuate the valve?

aticooper,

I am not sure what you are asking. Can you try asking it again in a different way?

Albert Einstein

Ashereng,

Somany initially stated that the current application is using gate valves. I was wondering how they are currently being actuated?

Thanks

Oh. Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought the question was directed at me.

Albert Einstein

stanier (Mechanical) 4 Jun 06 21:34
I believe a tee and two valves are more reliable ad less expensive.

aticooper (Mechanical) 5 Jun 06 15:17
"Somany,

How were planning to actuate the valve?"

With Auma electronic actuators. Two valves will be fully open/closed. One valve will be used infrequnetly to throttle influent.

aticooper (Mechanical) 5 Jun 06 16:06

"Ashereng,

Somany initially stated that the current application is using gate valves. I was wondering how they are currently being actuated?"

This line is in design phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back