Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water activated glue for PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mipi

Computer
Dec 19, 2011
RO
Hello,

My name is Cornea Mihai and I am new to this forum. I've decided to post here the question after I've searched the internet for 2 weeks with no results.

I am not an expert in adhesives but here is what I need:
I have to digitally apply glue. This glue has to be able to stick to PVC. I've tested the gummed glues that are on the back of the stamps but they doesn't seen to stick to PVC. I thought that I can use this glue and activate it only where I need it using only water.
Can you recommend me such a glue? Does it even exists?

Or if there are any other way to digitally print whit pressure sensitive adhesives for example would be grate.

Thank you very much,
Cornea Mihai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

to build bond for PVC - I would look into a primer containing Methylethylketone (MEK). MEK is the only solvent (with my experience) strong enough to degrade the PVC for a chemical bond.

Adhesive cement and primer for PVC pipe is sold at building supply stores.
Take a look at the ingredients on the labels.
Nasty stuff; get the MSDS for each component and take precautions before screwing around with any of it.

If you could micro-encapsulate some of that stuff, you could apply a paste containing the microbeads to whatever you're trying to bond, and break the beads on assembly by pressure or shear.

I'm guessing that finding a frangible encapsulant that won't be dissolved by the cement or the primer will be a major challenge, but there might be, e.g., a huge market for PVC pipe fittings with the stuff preapplied, or maybe a film tape containing primer and cement that you wrap around the pipe end just before assembly.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to do, and be careful.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back