water cooling jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

swcaddesigner

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2008
US
Hello,

I am needing to "cool" a 8 inch od pipe and ideally a quick install water jacket or belt to chill outside surface. 1 inch wide belt with water connections. We have chilled water. Just something to take the heat 200 degree away.

Is there such a product? I can always design my oen but looking for a off the shelf.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You just need to cool the pipe itself? To protect the pipe material?

What is the pipe made out of?

Depending on how much heat you need to remove, you may be able to just wrap hardware-store copper tube around it and flow the chilled water through the copper tube?

We need more details to help you.

If the 8" tube is carrying molten sodium for example, your task of removing '200 degree' from it may be quite challenging.

Search for 'heat exchangers', you may be able to find one that clamps on or wraps around something that size.

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Have you thought of installing axial fins on the 8" od pipe to increase surface area , then installing a larger id pipe on the outside with end caps and installing inlet/outlet connections for the CWS and CWR? All you need is some pipe, plate, fittings and good welder. Voila! Field built "hairpin" exchanger.

Controls SouthEast Inc (CSI) out of North Carolina makes bolt on valve jackets, jacketed pipe, and "contro trace" systems. Contro trace may be what you are looking for. It is often used in place of fully jacketed piping for high freeze point fluids. It's sort of a heavy duty steam tracing that straps to the pipe with a heat transfer cement underneath it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back