Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Curtain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buildtech2

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2012
QA
I am currently designing the fire protection system for a large warehouse which has fire rated compartments with fire rated walls to confine the fire. These fire zones / fire compartments must have fire rated self closing doors to prevent spreading the fire from one zone to another. What section of what code allows a water curtain as a substitute for a self colsing magnetic fire rated door.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Build

What are the size of the openings??

Unless something else is driving it, normally fusible link is only thing required.

Doors will more than likely be cheaper all the way around, over sprinklers.

All fire compartments in the entire warehouse will be protected by ESFR ceiling sprinklers which has large drop orifices and additionally, it will have in-rack sprinkler protection at one level of racking system. I will let you know the openings for each fire compartment soon.I believe the water will be supplied to the water curtains from same firefighting pump of sprinklers.

I would also like to know if self closing magnetic fire doors are cheaper then water curtains.

Build

Is the in the USA??

Not a desingner builder whatever,,

But a overhead door or similar swing will be cheaper in the long run.

Buildtech2

Have you reached out to the insurance carrier loss prevention department for input? Fire walls are a big deal to insurance companies. Installing anything less than a fire door with a fusible link or smoke detector for activation of the door can cost the building owners many $$$ over the life of the building. Water curtain will not cut it from an insurance point of view both from a water damage potential and adequate fire separation.Check out the free FM Data Sheets MAXIMUM FORESEEABLE LOSS 1-22 for details on fire wall openings.

just some side info here, we recently installed 3 deluge systems in the same industrial building in the USA for compartmentation reasons. The building in general complies with IBC but the AHJ accepted the deluge in lieu. So at the end, for me it s all about the AHJ or/and the insurance carrier.

Water courtain will not protect as fine as door.
Sprinklers are to control damage while fire brigade arrive, and in warehouses one or two small variables may lead to limited sprinkler effectiveness.

If sprinklered, I guess big warehouse fire doors are more expensive than courtain.

If you have high cost goods, high deductibles, and AHJ and insurance accepts courtain, be sure to take all the preventive measures, plant 4 leaf clovers, and go to church every sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back