Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Dew point Check using HYSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiszal

Chemical
Oct 28, 2003
SG
Hullo guys,
I am checking the efficiency of the TEG dehydration module that has been designed by previous consultant. One of the way is to check the water dew point of the export gas / condensate from our Central Processing Platform to the onshore terminal.

Can anyone in here advice me or share their experience of simulating this using HYSYS?

I thank you in advance for the kind assistance from you guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I know Hysys will tell us Hidrocarbon dew point only, but there is an extension from hysys call "gas properties" that allow us to determine water dew point. You can down load from hyprotech.

rgrds

sn

Hi Senno,
Thanks for the info. Actualy I do have that Gas Properties v1.5.1 registered in our HYSYS software. And yes you are very right, that extension can give us both info, the water dewpoint and the HC dew point. The reason why I wanna use other alternatives of determining water dew point is because some of our third party or client may do not have this xtension at the first place. Besides it also can reflect as a double checking to convince the client that the result calculated by that xtension is reliable ( We all know that every time we wanna d/load from aspentech support website they will warn us that we have to use the files with a great care).

So guys out there, any suggestion?

Hi aikmeam,
Thanks for the concerns. The reason why I use HYSYS at the first place is that the simulation file that we had received from the previous conceptual design consultant is in Hysys. And our client want us to continue their simulation program. I hope this will answer your concerns. Stay cool!

I'm not trying to debutt, but your reason for client wanting to continue to use HYSYS is not quite justifiable. What if HYSYS hasn't created the extension? What if the client do not have the extension himself?

I trust you must be one from the consultant company, and whatever results you obtained should be supported by proper engineering basis/knowledge.

It's just shocking to me that the so called "client" is having command over the ways consultant work nowadays.

As for your question for more suggestion... like I said earlier, it's 1st principal. Quote any reference book, there're abundant of them.

Yes, you may use a sledgehammer to kill a fly; Yes, you may use a software simulation program to model glycol dehydration; both will get the job done; but both will result in a lot of collateral damage!

Dehydration calcs are quite simple really. They have been done for 50+ years prior to computers!. Consult any good natural gas processing book, e.g., NGPSA Engineering Data Book. One only needs to know the pressure & temperature to pretty accurately predict water content. The McCabe Thiel Diagram can then be used with number of trays and the reboiler temperature, to predict tower performance.

I have many spreadsheets in this area; I will be glad to consult with you on specific applications.
chesney@uei-houston.com; tpcenginer@aol.com;
later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back