Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water flow to air flow conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmech88

Mechanical
May 23, 2007
US
I have a unit which has 2 nozzles requiring .4 gallons/min water flow rate and has to be tested on an assembly line. I was considering implementing a system which utilizes compressed air instead of having to fill the unit with water to save time. However, I haven't found any reliable way of converting a measured flow of compressed air to units which would be comparable to GPM. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out the methods used to size safety relief valve throats. I would think that you could size an orifice for your liquid flow rate, then using that size and the temperature and pressure at which you will inject your air during your standardized testing proceedure, you will be able to find an "equivalent" air flow rate. Depending on how much your device differs from a safety relief valve or an ideal orifice, you might have to do some calibration to finally get it right. It sounds feasible... at first glance anyway.
18-0314314854T.gif

I have done similar experiments. The equivalent of air to water is about 3.8~4 SCFM of air to 1 gmp of water. It was a long time ago and I don't remember how I got there but it worked out well and we proved it in the lab.

hope this works for you.

Fred

Do lab tests. Use known good nozzles and run your proposed air flow setup to establish equivalent air flow for your nozzles. Run a quantity of nozzles so you don't have a single sample data point. Determine your air flow range for acceptable nozzles. Write the setup in the production test procedures.

Ted

Fred,
Thanks a lot for the input. I'm still in the initial design/set-up phase for the system and am grateful for the approximate air-water equivalence. When working calculations and running tests in lab at least I'll have a ballpark idea of if my numbers are on the right track.

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back