Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water gas shift reaction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyroProject22

Petroleum
Jun 12, 2022
JO
Hi. I am doing water gas shift reaction on syngas produced by pyrolysis.
I am looking for the temperature needed for such a reaction
and what kind of catalyst should be used.
The outcome desired is CO2 and hydrogen
The composition of the syngas is co, co2, h2, ch2, c2h4, c2h6, c3h5, and others

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High temp shift reaction usually uses some chromium doped iron catalyst. Low temp shift reaction uses a CuO catalyst. Many manufacturers for such catalysts, such as Haldor Topsoe, who have licensed manufacturing facilities at Chiyoda sites in Japan also.
What is "Ch2 - you mean C2H2 ?
C2H4, C3H6 and C2H2 may cause catalyst deactivation by plugging of active sites with carbon - syngas may need to dewpoint treated to remove these olefins. Vaguely recall Brown and Root had some license for expander based syngas dewpoint conditioning. There may be many companies offering such processes now.

thanks georgeverghese what is the range of high temp and what is the range of low temp.
CH2 is methylene
I will contact Topsoe and Brown and Root

Thanks a million

Ray

Lo temp shift reactor (LTS) runs at about 250degC, high temp (HTS) at about 350degC.
CH2 is the methylene radical - it does not exist as a stable chemical.
BASF and Johnson Mathey also manufacture these catalysts.

Dear georgeverghese Thanks so much for the info. I have a design for the reactor could you please tell me if it is a good design. It is horizontal not vertical to make the gases come in contact with more catalysts. Is this a good design or should we go with a vertical design

water_gas_shift_reactor_design_vbe2pl.jpg

It is difficult to maintain uniform tube temp (with gas burners for temp control) in a tubular horizontal reactor in industrial large scale practice - I have come across vertical configuration only. A HTS / LTS reactor licensor designer may be able to advise for smaller scale units like this one for 5m3 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back