Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Water Hammer analysis in HEX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
I have liquid piping network with HEXs that needs water hammmer analysis. How does one model the transidents in the HEX tubes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would it be different than any other transient analysis?

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Since the tubes in a HX are normally short i would not consider then except as a discrete loss. If you wish you could calculate the equivalent flow area of the whole HX and then isert a pipe section with this ID in your model?

Best regards

Morten

I would suspect that you would not do the analysis through the HEX, but in its attached piping, then consider that the maximum pressure is transmitted throughout the entire HEX instantaneously.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

IS THAT "STEAM SAMPLE PROBLEM SIXTH EDITION 1987"

Kevin, Is it condensing steam?

The plant is a few 100 meters of hot water piping then four HEXs in series then a few more 100m of the cooler water piping to a pump station then 1000m to a well.

Kevin

I'd do a transient and apply the max pressure to the HXs.

Do a transient of the connecting piping and pump and pipeline to the wells, that is. I would think that most of the high pressures will be seen between pump and well and that not much will be seen in the suction piping. However "much" is a term relative to the design pressure. If the design pressure is low in the suction piping, any pressure increase might be more significant than if it happened in a higher pressure design segment, such as might be the case in the pump discharge and downstream pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back