Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water hammer and Transient analysis software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparticus17

Civil/Environmental
Jun 3, 2004
CA
Has anyone heard of SURGE 2000. I am wondering if you know a company, person, or website where I can find a contact number to purchase a program called SURGE 2000. This program analyzes water hammer and transitional flow. I spent a couple of hours last night searching the internet for a supplier of this program but came up with no information. My company would like to purchase this program (~$4,000 USD). The heastad water hammer program for $8000 USD is too much money for us. If no one has heard of SURGE is there any other programs that analyize water hammer and transient flow.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try LMNO Engineering.com. Ken Edwards had a lot of softwares on fluid flow calculations including water hammer and transient pressure analysis.

Ver...

Sparticus17

Surge2000 is a part of pipe2000 available at in the upper bar hover over pipe2000 and a drop down will show surge 2000. I have met Dr. Wood and he gave a presenation of the software at a meeting I was at. I have not had a need for the product yet so I have not purchased or used the product, but the wave form theory his calculations use produced the same results as an intergal-derivitive method (which is highly computation intensive).
The program appeared easy to use, and if you have already model the system in pipe2000, you just add the transient features and results are presented

Hydrae

I know this is quite late compared to the timing of the other replies, but I just have to add that I purchased Bentley Systems / Haestad Methods HAMMER transient software this Spring (2005). I have run many iterations of both complex and simple water hammer models and have found the program to be quite poorly documented, and it appears to give erroneous results when air valves are admitting air.

For instance, I entered a simple system of one high service reservoir connected by a 10,000 ft long 24 inch diameter pipe to another lower one. Just after the source reservoir I put in a line valve to shut off the water. Downstream of the line valve I put in an air valve to admit air when the line valve is closed.

When the valve was closed, either quickly or slowly, to shut off the water, air would enter the pipe as expected. BUT what is really strange is that air continues to enter the pipe for as long as the simulation continues - way past the total volume of the pipe itself.

Even more interesting is the fact that the pipe in my trial model continued to flow 45 cfs as long as the model continued. Hmmmm With the line valve shut, no water should be flowing after the total pipe volume has reached the downstream reservoir.

This is an obvious problem in this simple model, but my concern is how this affects the transients of systems where a half a dozen air valves are letting air in and the additional air and continued water flow issues are not readily apparent!

I have contacted the Bentley Support folks, and have waited for an answer on this puzzeling issue and am now in my 3rd business day so far including over a weeked, without an answer. I can only imagine the red faces, but I wonder if the recent heat wave in the midwest might not be partially due to glow of emabarrassment and frustration at the Bentley offices?

The main reason I selected AFt's Impulse was the excellent service I received when running their sister product Fathom. These guys are second to none in response. I am in Australia and I get turn around in the morning here whilst in the evening in the USA. I know thta the CEO must be on line all the time.

There is a paper out there on the selection of surge software. Flowmaster and a UK University produced it to enable others to see what they need to look for. Go to look up the paper on "risk in surges" and in there you will find the link to this software selection paper. Sorry I dont have the direct link . Its a while since I read the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back