Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Water in electrical boxes at garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatapeach

Military
Jun 20, 2013
US
I have an open garage, and where the electrical boxes are located to provide power to the exit lights during rain, water is visible from the boxes. The International Building Code doesn't require a barrier to be provided on the top garage floor, so I would like to know if anything in the NEC would require protection. The boxes are damp-proof and type-approved to be installed in concrete; however, I'm sure there are some connections with wire nuts inside the box. Can anyone provide me with a NEC requirement that would help? See photo attached

Water_at_electrical_box_vhzgac.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many environmental ratings are directional. For example NEMA 3R is water resistant from the top and sides but not from the bottom. Your enclosures are resistant from the bottom but not the top or sides.

Your problem is the result of a construction fault with the building. I don't think you're going to find any electrical boxes that are going to fix a a construction fault. I suggest installing surface mount boxes and conduit adjacent to the wet area.

I would install a conduit tee fitting with a drain on the bottom, and bring the liquidtight flexible metal conduit of out the side fitting of the tee. However that won't fix issues with any connections in box that is in the ceiling. There are wire connectors listed for wet locations that could be used in that box.

I'm not sure how the presence of water is in a junction box.
May be through cable conduits or under jackets or even through stranded conductor also by air vapor condensing, since the air is full of water[30-90%]
In non-hazardous locations, it is necessary to place a drainpipe in the bottom of the box.
In order to prevent the entry of insects a screen is provided.
In hazardous location use a special breather drain.

[tt][/tt]

There is not enough information given for a definitive answer.
However, the first step may be to determine where the moisture is coming from and why.
Failing that, remove the Seal-tite connector from the cover and use a chase nipple or bushing to attach a tee fitting to the cover.
Change the 90 degree Seal-Tite connector for a straight Seal-Tite connector, connected to the side of the tee fitting, so that the Seal-Tite flex will be almost in the original position.
Install a drain fitting into the bottom of the tee.
Use RTV silicon to seal the end of the Seal-Tite flex and to seal any wire nuts.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back