Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water line under pavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHOeng

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2002
US
I was taught that water lines should not be placed under street pavement, parallel to the curb as they will leak and you have to tear up the pavement to repair them. I always put them between the curb and the sidewalk, or the sidewalk and the right-of-way line if the sidewalk was against the curb. Recently I did some work in another state and the local practice was to put the subdivision water lines under the street pavement, 2' to 4' from the curb. This got me to thinking, what is the local practice in some of your jurisdictions? Is it allowed or required to place them under the pavement?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the Tallahassee, Florida area it is prefered for gravity sewer to be the only utility placed under the roadway. All other utilities are placed between the edge of pavement and the right of way line. Most utilities try not to place their lines under sidewalks, but if right of way is tight, then nearly anything goes.

Here in WI, at the city where I work, I'd say 90% of the water lines are in the pavement. Specifically, we put them a few feet beyond the curb flange line, or, in the middle of the distress/parking lane. That way should we need to repair it, we can usually just work in the parking lane and minimize interruption to traffic flow.

I think in a lot of older cities, where utilities clog the streets, you'll see water mains under the pavement.

Quite often it is the local jurisdiction that provides the alignment specifications. That being stated, where the alignment is left up to the "designers choice", I generally prefer to place a watermain under the asphalt rather than the curbside.

I state this because all too often, the watermain (behind a curb) is quite close to the property line and when the subdivision becomes quite settled, it is difficult to repair a broken watermain without undue hassle and cost. Within a roadway, repairs and maintenance are accomplished much easier than in a boulevard area or with an easement, all things considered.

Many other utilities tend to be in conflict with the watermain alignment if the right of way is narrow (gas, telephones, cable, power) and can cause problems when trying to repair a break or if damage results as a direct result of excessive water.

KRS Services

I work for a private water company and I agree with KRS. Repair requirements to a roadway are clear cut and even expected from time to time. No private homeowner understands when pipe breaks. The hassles that come form dealing with the public are bad enough when you're just taking up a public parking space in front of their house....forget about it when your main break has washed away their favorite heirloom shrubbery.

Besides, if a water line goes, it's easier to operate a backhoe on pavement than it is in someones muddy, water soaked lawn.

in this area, most cases there is very little area behind the back of curb for utilities. The street and sidewalk take up most of the right of way. Also remember, that service connections and fire hydrant laterals must cross the road to connect to the waterline. Repair of a service might require trenching across the entire roadway. Connection of waterlines at intersections becomes interesting if you wish to stay back of curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back