Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water-miscible organics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaSalle1940

Chemical
Feb 8, 2004
US
Does anyone know of a literature source that provides a (reasonably) comprehensive list of organics that are miscible with water in all proportions? I know something along those lines could be generated by working one's way through the appropriate section in the CRC handbook, but that would be labor-intensive, and I don't see the point in re-inventing the wheel if someone else has already compiled such a list.

Getting that list is the key; I can winnow it down for my own purposes thereafter (e.g., eliminating compounds that are solids at ambient temperature).

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's not quite it: I have a partial list in hand of obvious compounds that are miscible in all proportions with water (e.g., ethanol; acetone; pyridine) but I am sure that there's a more comprehensive list somewhere in the literature. I don't need properties of water/organic solutions at various concentrations of organics; all I need is a roster of organic compounds that can form solutions with water at any and all possible concentrations.

Dear LaSalle1940

I guess you are hunting for solvents :)

I might be able to do a filtered search on fairly big database -- you would only need compounds miscible with water at ambient conditions? and results as CAS-NO/name ? Reply in this thread or by email if you still need the list.

The really powerful technique to apply for a compound identification problem like the one you are presenting would be "Computer Aided Molecular Design" (CAMD) -- using this technique you can set up a series of criteria (constraints) your "deam compounds" should match and have the computer assemble candidates from building blocks (most commonly UNIFAC fragments) - this will enable you to specifify miscibility, boiling point, melting point, size, solubility parameter, flash point and many others. I have worked for nearly 10 years in this technology - and while it cannot substitute a good database it can be a valuable addition.

Since no commercial postings are allowed I'd better not go into specific possibilities.

Best Regards

Peter M. Harper
harper@capsolva.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back