Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water network modelling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnard

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2003
AU
Hi is there anyone who could advise me regarding the proper assigning of numbers of nodes in water network modelling? Is there a sequence to be followed or steps like a loop maybe in clockwise or counterclockwise? I am using epanet and watercaed software. Pls advise. . .thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no correct way. In WaterCAD you could even "number" the nodes with their physical location (e.g. 1st & Peachtree or "1450 3rd Ave").

As long as your system is logical and can be understood by others, you should be fine.

Thanks guys for the info I was just wondering because the principles involved in watercad and epanet are of matrix type I guess similar to cholesky which as others told me needs to be labelled accordingly and closer to each other to minimize the bandwidth (dunno the exact name) I just forgot the principles behind it.

Both francesca and stainer offer good suggestions. I used stainer's method a lot when I started modeling (about 25 yrs ago).

With modern software you have more options as francesca noted. If you want shorter labels than "street x street" you could always number your nodes based on a map grid. For example…several of our clients have utility base mapping with a grid overlay. A typical grid might be 500 feet x 500 feet and be indexed something like A to M east-west and 1 to 25 north-south. Within grid square F10, you could label the nodes F10-05, F10-10, F10-15, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back