Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Water powered valve???

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetracks555

Electrical
Jun 26, 2008
US
I am wondering if such a device exists. We have 5 irrigation sprinkler pumps that we need to cycle off and on every x hours. I am trying to avoid running wires to each sprinkler head and using an electric valve to turn them off and on. The sprinkler uses about 50 GPM, and the water is not well filtered. Are there any mechanical devices I could use to switch the valve on every x hours and the back off every x hours that don’t require electricity? The sprinklers are all running off one line that goes from the pump and T’s off for each sprinkler head. There are other sprinklers that will be running all the time on the same line.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never done this, but there are hydraulic valve actuators so I don't see why it wouldn't work (may need different seal material and probably need filtration). If I were you I'd gather the data (primarilly available pressure and water analysis) and call someone like Rotork or Betis and see if they have an actuator that would work.

David

This may work, we use them on an oil system but should work with water as well. They are called a cash valve (cashco)and they work off from back pressure. They sense pressure in the system, say 50 psi. When pressure is increased they open allowing a flow through them to another leg of the line. When the pressure is reduced they shut. Example we run our oil system at 45 psi, oil flow to half the system, when we want oil to the other half we start another supply pump. The line pressure rises to 53 psi the cash valve open and allows oil to another part of the system. We shut the pump down and the system returns to normal. These valves have no electricity or air needed. There are many options here. You would not have to clean up your water system, we use them on heavy #6 oil. More info if needed.

I have not used the valve that I know of, but its possible because I believe they are just their standard irrigtion on/off valves that have been fitted with RC actuated solinoids. Hunter should know what they're doing by now, so I myself would tend to trust them. I also doubt water quality is a major issue, unless you really have a very high solids content. One thing you might want to doublecheck is the range of the transmitter, or if they have range extenders available.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back