Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water seepage in Control room 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histor

Electrical
Mar 2, 2022
SG
Hi,
We are pulling the cable to control room from outdoor through wall opening as shown in the snap below. When raining, there is a water seepage into control room where there are sensitive equipment and monitor.

we are still halfway through in engineering. So I don't want to seal the wall opening at the moment. But Client asking us to seal the opening as there will be water seepage.

I want to know some temporary option to seal the opening for now and open it when require for additional cables to pull through. I want to seal permanently later once our engineering is firm on there will be no more cables to pull in future.

Give me your suggestions please....

Control_Room_Water_seepage_doxg10.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. Histor (Electrical)
" ....I want to know some temporary option to seal the opening for now and open it when require for additional cables to pull through. I want to seal permanently later once our engineering is firm on there will be no more cables to pull in future...."
I am suggesting installation one or numerous PVC pipe elbow sized sufficient for future additional cables. You can seal them permanently watertight even at this early stage; if you had allowed for sufficient room for future cables.
Attention: It shall be of PVC (non-metallic) material with the outdoor end facing downwards.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Search for "cable transit blocks"

Then just install them as needed replacing the blanks with holes of the right size

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I want temporary sealing with cheaper cost. Once all the cables pulled, may be in 2 months time, I will seal the opening permanently with fire sealant. Until I pull all the cables I need a temporary sealing which I can open frequently to pull cables. So Far, Mr. Che Kuan Yau's solution seems okay for me. But let me know if anyone have better solution than this. Thanks.

Caulking isn't really the best choice because of you get a bundle of cables you can't caulk adequately between each cable. You need to fan them out and run each cable through its own seal. Drilling foam can facilitate this.

You have a few options:

Roxtec is a leading manufacturer of cable transit blocks.
You could install short lengths of conduit in the wall with caps/plugs. When you're ready to pass a remove the cap/plug and replace with a cord grip or caulk the cable into the tube.

If you can run your cables downhill or add a drip loop then you can install a hood over the cable penetration and you won't need any waterproofing at all.

Dear Mr. Dear Mr. Histor (Electrical)
I refer to my earlier post dated 5 Jan 23 09:44, I wish to add the following for your consideration:
1. that the PVC elbow(s) can be easily permanently sealed to per IEC IP code "degree of protection" IP 68.
Note: In EE, IP Code is used internationally, but in the (building industry and in the US) this terminology may [not used or having other codes].
2. Any other methods would invariably encounter problems to ensure fully seal the gaps between the conductors. Not to mention that you are going to remove it for insertion of more conductors as the project progresses.
3. Attention: Do NOT install short lengths of metallic conduit. It shall be of non-metallic material.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back