Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water Softener Material of Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbertcountry2

Chemical
Sep 29, 2003
US
I have heard a few diffenrent opinions about the subject. We had a Carbon steel with epoxy coating tank with PVC internals and outlet piping. New construction is 304 SS tank - we have just had a failure within less than one year.

We use a sodium chloride brine solution to regenrate the beds. There is no condensate recovery. The water is ambient temperature. The vendor had assured us that chloride stress cracking was not an issue.

Any opinions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 304 SS failed. I was trying to understand if using SS is a no-no in softener service. Furthermore, waht role in that determination, is attributable to NaCl brine?

Actually the 304 does not like the Cl. Switching to KCl will have the same outcome with 304 as the NaCl. The Cl causes pitting and stress corrosion cracking. 316 won't help much either.

Your choices are epoxy or PVC lined CS or FRP (some say GRP). Rubber lined CS is a good choice but not the most economical.

What do you mean by "condensate recovery"? What type of failure are you talking about?

cub3bead has made some good suggestions. I would add that you can get by with just a steel tank without tank lining since the brining step only occurs for a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back