Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water soluble sulphate to BS1377

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindsayS

Geotechnical
Oct 19, 2006
GB
I work for a soils laboratory in UK. We analyse 2:1 water:soil sulphates to BS1377. Usually this method is fine but occasionally I find after soaking and shaking certain samples it is difficult to extract 'clean' liquid. I have tried filtration through a Buchner funnel, centrifuging and allowing sample to stand for a longer time but I have not found a successful method. Has anybody had a similar problem and got any solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is not BS1377 though and would therefore be classed as a laboratory in-house developed method, which would need to be verified against another recognised standard before being accepted by most customers. In my experience, stick to the 1377 method.

LindsayS, I will get back to you regarding your problem, I don't often test sulphates but I know a man who can!!

I am in Canada and use a CSA method for testing water soluble sulphates. I would be interested in taking a look at the BS1377 method that you are using to see how it compares. Is there any way you can send me the BS1377 testing procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back