Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water System Design (Well) for Commercial Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjeppesen

Civil/Environmental
Jun 12, 2003
US
Hi,

I've been asked to do the "design plans" for the domestic water system for a commercial bathroom (one sink, one toilet). Problem is I've never done anything but water distribution design for public utilities. It is a public project and this is at a bus stop in the mountains of Colorado. There is an existing well that we are using that was previously put in for agriculture in the 60's. We had a pump test on the well already and the well is sufficient, but we need a new pump.

I'm not even sure where to start. Questions I have:

1. How specific do I need to get on the plans? It seems that the vendors bidding on this would design this in their sleep.
2. What do I need to show on the plans and put in the specs?
3. Bla, bla, bla.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As this was an agricultural well that is now going to be used as a water source for human contact/consumption, one good question to ask would be: Was the existing well drilled/constructed to meet the requirements of a sanitary drinking water well, and if not, can it be modified to meet those requirements? I would advise trying to get the driller's log and as-built of the well (if there is one). Some counties keep records of the drill logs and that would allow you get the contractor's information. There are probably specifications published by Colorado state on the requirements for a potable water well. A suite of water quality tests including a bacteriological test should probably be done too. Usually the county will have a list of the tests required. As the well is in the mountains of Colorado, freezing may be an issue, which may not have been a concern for it as an agricultural water source, so a pitless adapter may be required. Likewise, a pressure tank with freeze protection is likely needed so the pump doesn’t have to come on each time someone turns on a faucet or flushes. If these items are proposed to be installed, they should be included on the plans and in the specs. Hope this gives some ideas of starting points. Good luck.

I agree with Mr. RH27.You have to collect the required data and accordingly you can decide the complexity of your project and the estimated required budget.

Thanks, all. The existing well has actually been re-permitted for domestic use with the state. The only building will be the bathroom it self. It's called a "driver relief station".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back