Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Water well construction - question from the UK 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockbashinBrit

Geotechnical
Sep 26, 2008
DE
Hi all,
I'm a British consultant working on an international project in Africa involving the drilling and installtion of a water supply well for a large residential/commercial development. A contractor has provided an outline design for the well including a description of "API steel casing" for the well casing and sump.

Is it common practice to use specifications and/or guidance from the American Petroleum Institute on a water supply well? I would have thought that a suitable standard from the AWWA or ASTM would be more appropriate.

I can point the contractor to British Standards, but I don't want to criticise his use of a US standard if it is a valid approach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Duncan

Bashin' rocks and drillin' holes!
All models are wrong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes, it is common and not unusual since casing pipe for deep well construction may be similar regardless of the fluid being pumped. USBR groundwater manual recommends the following for water wells
[ul]
[li]API 5L specs for pump chamber casing[/li]
[li]ASA B36.10 schedule 30 or 40 pipe[/li]
[li]AWWA A100 standards for deep wells[/li]
[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back