Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

water wetter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islander

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2002
US
i put this stuff in my radiator and it runs 10-15 degrees cooler...

why isn't it being incorporated in chiller/condensor loops.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Islander:

What is the "stuff" you put in your radiator system? Sounds like it either cleaned fouled tubes or increased the solution's specific heat.... maybe both?

Sure hope it wasn't sulphuric! :)

Actually, now that I think of it, it is very common to use Octyl Alcohol in absorbtion chillers (Water-LiBr) in order to decrease the surface tension of the water and get even tube wetting. That's probably what you have... YES!!

And it IS USED in systems where the refrigerant side is water.... absorption chillers and probably boilers as well.

But it breaks down at higher temps and has to periodically added.

Not sure about how it would mix (if at all) with conventional refrigerants; but it could be used on the water side of chillers with closed loops (like the evap side). It would all get lost in a wet tower; but would work fine in a "dry cooler". In fact, I'll bet that "anti-freeze" or glycol mixes have some Octyl in them.

Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

you should see it at your local auto parts store.
it's getting popular.
i don't have the bottle anymore...i recall it is non corrosive.....mixes easily with anti freeze...a few ounces in my radiator 6 months ago and still no loss of effect.

Islander:

I'm going to check it out. Sounds like it might be good for the entire drive train; especially with summer coming (Here in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway!) :) Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

Quark:

They never heard of "water wetter" at the supply place I went to last night. Do you think JC Whitney in Chicago would have?

See The post on page 2 about keeping an AHU from freezing. Guess my theory of increasing the specific heat by adding something is "all wet"! :)

But what is that stuff?

Maybe Quark can answer? Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

Islander:

Are Auto Zones a National chain?

Never heard of them in WI, MN or IA.

Or has life been passing me by? :-( Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

****This is for diesel engine applications...
I was just curious what benefit this would be in hvac applications.

Red Line Water Wetter (liquid) is designed to provide improved metal wetting when added to water glycol mixes.

Water has twice the heat transfer capability when compared to 50% glycol antifreeze/coolant in water. Red Line Water Wetter can reduce cooling system temperatures compared to glycol solutions and even plain water. Water has excellent heat transfer properties in its liquid state, but very high surface tension makes it difficult to release water vapor from the metal surfaces. Under heavy load conditions, much of the heat in the cylinder head is transferred by localized boiling at hot spots, even through the bulk of the cooling solution is below the boiling point. Red Line Water Wetter reduces the surface tension of water by a factor of two, which means that much smaller vapor bubbles will be formed. Vapor bubbles from the metal surfaces create an insulating layer, which impedes heat transfer. Releasing these vapor bubbles from the metal surfaces can improve the heat transfer properties in this localized boiling region by as much as 15%.

We recommend the use of RMI-25 cooling system treatments in addition to Water Wetter.

Quark:

Tanks a bunch! :) Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

EUREKA, GUYS!!!... I FOUND IT!!

Not "water wetter"; but basically the same thing at the supply house (Farm and Barn) that I asked at last night. This time I looked on the "snake oil" shelves... since snake oil is cheaper than a new engine or tranny and I travel around the region (WI, MN, IA, SD, MI, IL)a lot in my work.

It's a L O N G story; I was actually picking up some feed for my kids' horses and... well you don't want to know what else i'm into.

Anyway, I don't buy cheap oil... I learned a long time ago that that's a BAD investment!! :-(

So I see this stuff on the shelf: One for the cooling system and one for the tans... and I think: "Gee summer's coming.. and if we were mowing grass in December (in WI, mind you) what the hay is July and August going to be like when I go to the horse fair pulling two plump horsies in a 1,000 # trailer... and hey: I may be GOOD... but they for some reason don't seem to pay me enough for it!!

Anyway this stuff called: TOW KOOL catches my eye: tOW kOOL RED FOR TRANNYS @ $10 AND tOW COOL GREEN FOR COOLING SYSTEMS @ $6..

"Snake Oil"?? Who knows? But it's cheaper than a missed customer call (I have AAA)... no, no, no, no, no, no guys: I am not a "peddler" ... I am a registered design engineer in 3 states with about a 50/50 mix of design and marketing experience. NADA happens until we "make a sale"!!

Anyway the stuff is: Can anyone decipher... any chemists out there?

for cooling systems:

Water 7732-18-15
Propylene Glycol 57-55-6
Sodium Nitrite 7632-00-0
Polyalklene

Glycol 9003-13-8
Ethoxyyylated Castor (Snake????) Oil!!!61791-12-6

PS: DO NOT DRINK!! (Really? :-0 )

EMERGENCY PROCEDURES if YOU SHOULD DRINK: P-U-K-E!!! :-(

Well whatis it guys??? Snake oil, or is it really like "white out": Ceiling paint that retails for $5,000 per gallon?!?! :)

I gotta get up and go design a firehouse and powder metal coating factory five hours from here in about 5 hours; so I'll tell ya what was in the other box next week.

If anyone can decipher this goop, please let me know before I dump it into my lovely 6 banger, fuel injected, purrs like a kitten set of wheels that now has 200K + and is going strong!! :) Why so many miles?? Well... that's another L O N G story. And involves a "politically correct" term: DOWNSIZING!!

So... STAY TUNED... for the "rest of the snake oil" :)

Surrrrrre don't seem like the Octyl Alcohol I "guessed" (darn, blew it again!! :) ) Buddha's advice 2,500 yrs ago (I'm Christian!!???!!): "After deep, careful observation/analysis; and it agrees with reason, is conducive to the common good: accept it and live up to it."

Water Wetter is often used in racing engine applications...you need to play with the concentrations to find the optimum amount to put in though.

There are many other substances used in process liquids similar to this...to either increase heat transfer or to prevent corrosion. Most process liquid additives are dicated by local health codes (anti-bacterial additives)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back