Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WaterCAD to EPANet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFEng

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2011
US
I am trying to determine the required water main size for a Client. I have received the City's water model, exported from WaterCAD V8i, and have tried to import it into EPANet V2.0. All I am getting, in EPANet, are the Junctions. I was wondering if anyone has run across this before and might have a solution.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e9543a1a-b79e-489d-baf7-d1c2570482e3&file=EPANet-Junctions-only.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm guessing they sent you an ".INP" file. If so, try opening this file with Notepad. Right click on the file, select "Open With"...and choose "Notepad". You should be able to see what data the file contains. It's possible they only exported the Junctions.

I've looked through the file and it has the following sections Title, Patterns, Junctions, Reservoirs, Tanks, Demands, Emitters, Coordinates, Options, Times, Reactions. No pipe section. Do you know of a setting somewhere that they could choose to not export pipes?

I'm not familiar with the WaterCAD user interface so I don't know if there is a specific setting that would have excluded the pipes from the export. You can usually go to File->Export->Epanet and the INP file of the entire scenario will be created. In other hydraulic modeling software, there is an option to export elements to shape files and this is done one element at a time - i.e. junctions are one shape file, pipes another, etc. You may want to go back to the City if you haven't already done so and inform them that the INP file is missing the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back