Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waterfall control

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterymike

Electrical
Dec 19, 2002
CA
Hey, if I have a water fall in my pond, on a small pump, can I get a valve which could control the rate of flow to the waterfall using a simple light dimmer type input? Does such a items exist or will I need to by a high end valve that is a 4-20ma or 0-10V control and then "create" the control signal with the dimmer etc? I have a single phase drive here too so I thought about slowing the pump down but thats just seems to complicated for a pond, and the drive is worth a few hundred bucks alone.

I am electrical, automation, but no experiance with water valves. Home project, looking for "cost effective" not some stainless steel explosion proof $2000 valve if you know what I mean. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having a pond, with a waterfall myself, I just keep the same rate of flow to the waterfall at all times. This helps with the circulation and filtration of the water naturally.
If there is need to slow the flow or restrict it I use a small diverter valve thta you get at any pond supply store.
The install ation of a pressure or flow control valve in this situation, especially if the choice is other than manual operation could be too expensive to be worthwile.
try this website for pond supplies they may have something for you. An industrial type vavle is going to run you several hundred dollars. There is the possibility of using an automatic timer device for a watering system for your hose those though not inexpensive would be cheaper and probably more adaptable to your needs.
or

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back