Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Waterline Construction near Curb & Gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

esass13

Civil/Environmental
Sep 14, 2004
US
How close can a contractor generally install a 6" DIP beside curb and gutter without tearing up the curb and gutter. I would think a contractor could dig within a foot (or less) of the curb and gutter and not disturb it.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general, a contractor could be able to install or repair pipe with a foot of clearance from the curb without demoing and repouring the curb, but it all depends on the situation.
What is the situation?

jgailla,

We're installing new pipe close to the curb and I don't want to give the contractor an idea that he can just tear up the curb and replace by having a high quantitiy estimate.

installation is open cut at about 3' to 4' deep with services all along the way. It's in an established residential area.

depends on what you mean by dig. If you mean a man with a shovel digging by hand than yes. Otherwise, don't count on it.

esass13,
Is this a design-bid-build?
Why do you care if he tears up the curb and replaces it?
With standard construction, there is also a good chance of undermining the pavement, so that could have to be replaced.
In any case, there is certainly a much higher cost associated with installing water mains that close to a curb.
If it were a small piece, maybe you could try to do it, but for a long run, it's probably better to just tear up the curb.
Also, if there is curb and asphalt pavement, the excavator will tear up the pavement.
Good practice would be to keep the water line a few feet off the curb, but I assume you have some reason that you can't do it that way.

Contractors in my area have sawcut pavement and concreteright at the face of curb. I would imagine that the type or shape of curb below grade would dictate how close. As long as the contractor knows to protect the curb in-place its on him.

You have to look at the depth of the main and distance from the edge of the gutter. Anything steeper than a 45 degree angle you will lose the curb and gutter. How wide is the street? Where are the sanitary and storm mains? Are there other utilities in the street? At every service, you will lose a section of curb.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

You may want to specify an Offset boom excavator, otherwise the tracks will be on top of the curb damaging it anyway.

P.S. shoot a video of the curb (and the entire jobsite) before the job, that way you have proof that any damage was not pre-existing

Hydrae

No pan on the curb, just sawcut right at the face of curb? I doubt it will hold up. If you left the pan in, then they could have their trench edge abut the pan joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back