Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waterproof Canvas Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookeActonNorton

Industrial
Jun 1, 2016
NZ
Hello Everyone,

I'm a product development engineer working on a new product. At the risk of giving it away, its essentially tent on wheels. I was thinking of using canvas but was wondering if there are any proven alternatives that are waterproof and have similar durability.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any other requirements? Cost, weight, UV, etc etc ? There are probably a hundred fabrics that might be suitable.

Check out

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I don't get it; I don't think canvas has been seriously considered for tent applications in probably 40 years. Almost everything that's tent-like today is some sort of nylon, polyester, etc. The weight savings alone are huge.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529

Thanks for the replies. Weight is not an issue but It will need to be UV stable and on the cheaper end. I guess the materials used on soft-tops would be ideal as this also needs to fold away in the same fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back