Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waterstops--Cast-in vs Synkoflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

rholder98

Structural
Oct 5, 2005
US
I'd like to get opinions. I keep getting requests to substitute Synkoflex for the cast-in pvc waterstops I specified. I can understand how it's probably a lot easier to construct, but how well does it perform in a liquid-containing structure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We spec both Synko flex and PVC types. For the most part, a critical joint gets PVC. Sometimes you want to have a portion of a basin down and no water rushing under common walls. This is a good location for Synko Flex. Also, this stuff doesn't work all that great in vertical applications like wall bulkheads of slabs or walls. The sun hits it and it begins to grow and fall off. We've had this happen by many different contractors. Synko flex works better at the base of walls.

The problem with PVC in cantilever structures is getting the steel around it. It's not difficult, but does take some special detailing.

Also keep in mind how you transition between joints in the slab to the wall. These "connections" can be a location of leaks. Especially if you transition from PVC to Synko Flex.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back