Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waukesha 88 (ASTM A494, Gr CY5SnBiM) corrosion data

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2001
US
Looking for corrosion data concerning the use of Waukesha 88 (ASTM A494, Gr CY5SnBiM). The application of interest is for bushings and case rings in pumps seeing fresh water service. Would love to know of any useful references, websites, papers or people.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Heidi,
Waukesha 88 is a Nickel-base, non-magnetic, non-galling, high corrossion resisting alloy.It's good to run against Stainless Steel without galling or seizing. It can not be heat treated and this alloy is very difficult to weld unless to preheat at 1100°f before welding.
It's more corrossion resistant to industrial chemical and oxidization conditions in general, therefore, it can be use for food and chemical industry equipment. Typical application include control rollers for sanitary meters, plug-in valves, pump seals for homogenizers, bearing for agitators, piston for filler machines, valve sleeves, pressure plates for sausage stuffing machines, hex-nuts, plus for beer tank valves, and bushing for guide rods in the food processing arena.
You can find more information about the Waukesha 88 in the ASTM and or Alloy Digest.
I just research about this alloy for the investment casting industry not to long ago and had found out some special interesting about this alloy. If you need more help. please let me know.
Best regards,
Sonny Tran

majordud,
I am getting closer and closer even I Still have some problem with the casting. It's just a minor gas problem. I will let you when I solve the problem with this alloy.
Sonny Tran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back