Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waukesha Universal vs Discflo Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ2000

Chemical
Mar 1, 2011
US
Hello All,

Does anyone have the knowledge to make a good comparison of these two pumping Technologies?

I am considering using a Waukesha Universal pump or a Discflo pump for the following application:

I know this group likes specifics so here goes:
flow rates around 100 gpm, head around 200 ft. Temperature varies from 60 F to 200 F.
Viscosities around 200 to 5000 cP, but also around 0.5 cP during solvent rinses. Occassional pumping of water. The 5000 cP fluid is shear thinning (power-law fluid index around 0.8)

I'm super concerned about fugitive emissions, so the seals need to behave well. I like double mechanical seals with pressurized barrier fluids.
I need Stainless steel construction for pH and color.

I have a fair amount of experience with discflo pumps, but none with the Waukesha Universal pump. Do these pumps run dry well like the discflo pumps? Do they have low vibrations like the discflo pumps? How about NPSHR? Tolerance for trash and various operational abuse? If I drop a valve seat in the suction will the pump take the abuse? Any ideas about relative efficiency? Difficulty of maintenance?

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Any information the community can provide on this I would appreciate.

Thanks,

JJJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all I have no personal experience with one or the other. But the Waukesha is a rotary lobe pump, right? You asked for dry running capability. Rotary lobe pumps cannot run dry.

Flow, head, viscosity and temperature are o.k. for the Waukesha, low vibrations (pulsations) as well. Not sure about NPSHR and the shaft seals.

I wouldn't use a Waukesha. I would go with a Progressive Cavity pump. Seepex is the best.

Waukesha cannot run dry and the cost to repair these beasts is enormous. The timing gears in these pumps are not that easy to put together. So, if you're running a small maintenance staff or you have to send them out for rebuilding, you would pay dearly.

Compare that to a Progressive Cavity pump, where the only thing you change is the Stator, Rotor, and Mechanical Seals, you'll quickly find out how versatile these pumps are. If you need to draw a prime, PC pumps can do that (Seepex can draw up to about 15 feet). But the cost and time to maintain these pumps is a walk in the park. Very easy and cost efficient.

Good luck!

Micalbrch and AtlasPumps,

Thanks for your input. I am moving forward with the discflo pump.

I was first introduced to the discflo pump as a replacement for progessive cavity pumps with fewer wearing parts. That was in a ceramic slurry application and the guy who owned the pump loved how much it had reduced his maintenance costs.

Thanks,
Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back