Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wave speed and deformation speed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kize

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2003
TH
Hi all, I got some problem about ABAQUS solving error.
"The ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1.000 in at least......". How can I do for solving this model in next time?
Thank in advance.
Kittipong

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This means that you are deforming the element faster than a stress wave can propogate across it. In effect - you are breaking the sound barrier.

Most often the cause for this is inconsistant units. Be sure that your material density is correct. Remember that the density of steel is NOT .283lbs/in^3 because that is a unit of force density in a volume. If your modulus is in PSI then your density must be in lbf-in^2/s^4.

It is also possible you have a highly distorted mesh and you have a sliver element which is flattening out or worse.

Also, if you are using automatic mass scaling, you may be scaling too much and asking ABAQUS to increase the density of the material too far. Take a look at your .sta file for the percentage mass change if you are using this option.

In ABAQUS/Explicit 6.4 there is an option called "distortion control". This option puts a hard stop on the element, preventing them from exceeding the deformation ratio. This may solve your symtom, but I think it would be better to find out the underlaying cause and solve that instead.

I hope this helps.

-KF9RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back